Panopto, the vendor behind Pitt’s Lecture Capture system used for Canvas instructional recordings, as well as the default solution for saving Zoom meeting and webinar recordings, recently ended unlimited storage for all customers. Therefore, while Pitt Information Technology (IT) remains committed to allowing generous storage for instructional content, please be aware of the following changes that will occur later this year.
Zoom Instructional Recordings in Canvas
Effective July 1, 2023, unviewed instructional videos will be deleted after 30 months. Unviewed videos will first be archived after 18 months. Once archived, recordings will remain available for an additional 12 months. Recordings that have not been viewed or restored after the combined 30-month period are permanently deleted.
- This policy applies to all recordings in Panopto, created by Zoom, Canvas, or the Panopto recorder.
- All Zoom instructional recordings in Canvas continue to be saved to Lecture Capture (Panopto).
- Any instructional video in use will remain available indefinitely — until 18 months after it is last viewed.
- Archived recordings can still be accessed within the 12-month archive period but may take up to 48 hours to be restored.
- Any viewing of a recording within 30 months of its previous viewing will restart the 30-month clock.
- All recordings last viewed on or before January 1, 2022, will be archived on July 1, 2023, and deleted on July 1, 2024.
Example: A video last viewed on March 15, 2023, will be archived on Sept. 15, 2025, and purged on Sept. 15, 2026.
Pitt IT recommends storing the recording somewhere else if there may be long periods of time between viewings, such as a course taught every three years. This storage limit for Panopto has no impact on recordings moved to other systems, such as your PC, OneDrive, SharePoint, or a website.
Zoom Meeting and Webinar Recordings
Also beginning on July 1, 2023, Zoom meeting and webinar recordings made outside of Canvas will be stored in Zoom instead of Panopto. After 30 days, recordings stored in Zoom will automatically be moved to the Trash, where they will be held for an additional 30 days before they are permanently deleted.
- Recordings in Zoom trash can be recovered until the end of the 30-day period. Users will receive a warning message seven days before the recording is purged.
- Zoom meeting and webinar recordings saved on or before June 30, 2023, will remain in Panopto.
- Beginning July 1, 2023, users who wish to continue storing Zoom webinar and meeting recordings in Panopto may opt in to do so. Pitt IT will provide additional information about the opt in process in a subsequent message. Users may also download recordings to your device or cloud storage, such as OneDrive.
- Any Zoom webinar and meeting recordings that remain in Panopto after July 1, 2023, are subject to the changes above.
Example: A Zoom meeting that is recorded on June 1, 2023, from outside Canvas, will be moved to the trash folder on July 1, 2023, and purged on July 31, 2023.
Removing Unwanted Recordings
Pitt IT encourages users to delete any recorded Panopto content that they no longer need. Reviewing the recordings available in your Panopto folders makes them easier for you and others who you share them with to locate and use, as well as reduces future expenses associated with storing unused content.
- Users can find them by logging into Panopto directly or through myPitt (my.pitt.edu) and clicking the My Folder link on the left side of the page once in Panopto.
- Users can also take advantage of the Browse menu option, then select the My Folders tab to search for files and other file locations, such as course folders.
Pitt IT will share the information about these changes with impacted students, faculty, and staff. Please contact the 24/7 IT Help Desk at +1-412-624-HELP (4357) if you have any questions about this announcement.