Effective Monday, July 19, devices running unsupported Windows, Macintosh, and mobile operating systems will no longer be able to access University resources through PittNet VPN (Pulse Secure) or Global Protect VPN.
Devices running unsupported operating systems cannot be patched with proper security updates and run the risk of being compromised, having sensitive data lost, or becoming an entry point to allow hackers to attack other computers and servers on PittNet. Therefore, to continue to safeguard devices, protect data, and ensure the security of the University's computing environment, Windows PCs, Mac PCs, iPhones/iPads, and Android mobile devices must be running a supported operating system listed below to access University resources after July 18:
- Windows PCs - Windows 10, Windows 8.1
- Mac PCs - macOS 11 (Big Sur), macOS 10.15 (Catalina), macOS 10.14 (Mojave)
- iPhone/iPad/Android Mobile Devices - Android OS and iOS versions 7.0 and above
Individuals running an unsupported version of Windows can upgrade to Windows 10 Education for non-commercial use by following the steps below:
- Log in to software.pitt.edu and search for Azure Dev Tools.
- Click the Download button, then click the link under Installation Instructions and sign in with your Pitt credentials.
- Click Software on the left-hand menu, then click Windows 10 Education.
- Click Generate URL to generate a link to download Windows 10 Education.
Please contact the 24/7 IT Help Desk at 412-624-HELP (4357) if you have any questions regarding this announcement.