Pitt Information Technology strongly encourages departments that use hardware running Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 to continue developing a migration plan in preparation for Microsoft’s end of support. If your servers are hosted at the University Data Center, contact the 24/7 IT Help Desk now so that we can discuss solutions and schedule your migration. Once these servers are no longer supported, they will stop receiving security updates and become increasingly vulnerable to hackers, malware, and viruses.
Step 1: Determine Application Compatibility
If you have not yet done so, begin by reviewing use cases for your Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2 hardware. Reach out to vendors of any currently hosted third-party applications to determine operating system compatibility.
Step 2: Contact Pitt IT for Servers Hosted at the Data Center
If your servers are hosted at the University Data Center, Pitt IT can perform an in-place upgrade, rebuild a server, or move you from a physical to a virtual environment. We will discuss your specific needs, help select the right solution, then seamlessly migrate and decommission your previous server.
- Contact the 24/7 IT Help Desk now to get started.
Step 3: Consider Enterprise Services
Consider whether migrating to one of Pitt IT’s enterprise storage and hosting services may be a better fit for your needs than a server:
- Microsoft OneDrive may be an excellent secure and no-cost option for simple storage needs.
- Enterprise storage is an affordable, scalable solution that combines the control of an on-premises file server and the convenience of a cloud-based service.
- Enterprise cloud storage provides secure, reliable, and flexible cloud storage that can be tailored to meet your needs.
- Managed server hosting is an option if you anticipate a continued need for Windows Server. It monitors servers around the clock, performs all backups, and manages operating system upgrades.
Please refer to Pitt IT’s Data Risk Classification and Compliance guidance to help ensure your data is stored securely.
Start Migrating Soon
As previously announced, Microsoft ends support on Oct. 10, 2023. To ensure you have adequate time, please determine the best approach for your unit, and then move quickly to implement your plan.
Pitt IT is available to provide support and assistance. Please contact the 24/7 IT Help Desk at +1-412-624-HELP (4357) if you have questions about using enterprise services or if you currently use enterprise services and are ready to schedule a migration.