Zoom Cloud Recordings Integrated with Lecture Capture (Panopto)
University Zoom meetings recorded to the cloud are integrated with Lecture Capture (Panopto), the University’s trusted service for storing and sharing recorded lectures, training sessions, demonstrations, and meetings. The upgrade also makes it easier for instructors to share recorded Zoom lectures with their students via the Panopto Course Navigation link in the Canvas course.
The University of Pittsburgh’s enterprise Zoom agreement already includes robust data protections designed for research and education organizations. Integration with Panopto provides additional security options for your recorded meetings, including more granular options for sharing recorded meetings—with either anyone or only with specific individuals.
Easily Find Zoom Recordings in Panopto
Meetings that are recorded to the Zoom cloud will be automatically uploaded to Panopto. By default, recordings are stored in your Panopto My Folder in a sub-folder named Meeting Recordings. You can control access to your recorded meetings by setting sharing permissions on the Meeting Recordings folder.
Automatic uploads work slightly differently for Canvas users.
- If you scheduled the meeting using the Canvas Zoom integration and have not also enabled the Canvas Panopto integration, recordings are stored in your Panopto My Folder, as described above. You will need to set access to the recorded meeting and share the recording to Canvas.
- If you have also enabled the Canvas Panopto integration, meetings that are scheduled using the Canvas Zoom integration are stored in the corresponding Panopto course folder. The recordings inherit the permission settings from that folder, so the recording will appear in the Canvas course with students given permission to view it.
To help ensure a smooth transition, Zoom recordings automatically uploaded to Panopto will continue to be stored in Zoom’s cloud environment for the time being. In the future, duplicate recordings stored in the Zoom cloud will be removed, and recordings will reside only on Panopto.
Automatically Route Recordings to a Specific Panopto Folder
You can use Zoom meeting IDs to create automatic rules that route Zoom recordings directly to specific folders within Panopto. This makes it easy to keep your meeting recordings organized. It also enables you to set sharing permissions on the folder in advance, so that your security settings are in place even before your meeting is recorded. To learn how you can set routing rules, refer to section 7 in Panopto’s support guide.
Not All Recordings Are Uploaded
The following types of Zoom recordings are not automatically uploaded to Panopto:
- Recordings saved to a local device, rather than the cloud, remain on the local device.
- Note: Locally saved recordings can be uploaded to Panopto by faculty and staff with “creator” permission, but they cannot be uploaded to the Zoom cloud.
- Cloud recordings made prior to May 1, 2020, remain in the Zoom cloud.
- Recordings made on a departmental Zoom account (i.e., an account that logs in via pittdept.zoom.us) continue to adhere to the policies established by the department.
- Recurring meetings created prior to May 1 will continue to be saved only to the Zoom cloud when recorded.