You are here
Borrow a Device for Remote Learning, Teaching, or Work
Initiated during the Covid-19 pandemic while campuses were shut down, and administered by the Office of the Provost, this program is intended to support students who do not have access to and/or cannot afford the technology resources they need for remote or hybrid learning, as well as staff and faculty whose departments cannot provide the equipment needed for remote teaching or work.
For example, a student without access to a computer can request a Chromebook, and then use the University's Virtual Computing Lab to use the software in the computing labs or connect to a class via Zoom. Similarly, faculty and staff without a device can use a Chromebook in tandem with the Virtual Desktop service to access the software they need.
A limited number of devices are available for temporary loan. All Oakland campus students may pick up a requested device at the Drop-In Support Desk in the G-62 Cathedral of Learning location.
Regional campus and remote students can request that devices be shipped to them using the link below. *Please note: It normally takes about 7-10 days for the request to be processed and the device shipped.
Laptop: Chromebook (Asus C403 or equivalent)
- A Chromebook is a minimally-configured laptop that runs the Linux-based Chrome OS operating system.
- In order to run Windows-based software, it must utilize a Windows Virtual Desktop client and access the Virtual Computing Lab/Virtual Desktops.
Oakland campus students: Request a device in person at the G-62 Drop-In Support Desk.
Regional and remote students:
- Submit a request for a device. Be prepared to provide the following information:
- University Computing Account username
- Device(s) requested
- Reason for request and anticipated length of loan
- Shipping address
- Department/School and academic program
- Pitt IT will review the request.
- If the request is approved, you will receive a confirmation email with setup instructions and the device(s) will be shipped to you. If the request is declined, you will also be notified via email.
Device Setup Instructions