Borrow a Device for Remote Learning, Teaching, or Work
Under the University of Pittsburgh’s Flex@Pitt hybrid classroom model, access to a PC and adequate Wi-Fi service is critical. Students, faculty, and staff in need of this equipment can request remote devices through a program administered by the Office of the Provost. This program is intended to support students who do not have access to and/or cannot afford the technology resources they need for remote or hybrid learning, as well as staff and faculty whose departments cannot provide the equipment needed for remote teaching or work.
For example, a student in an area without adequate Wi-Fi can request a Wi-Fi hotspot through the program. A student without access to a computer can request a Chromebook, and then use the University's Virtual Computing Lab to use the software in the computing labs or connect to a class via Zoom. Similarly, faculty and staff without a device can use a Chromebook in tandem with the Virtual Desktop service to access the software they need.
A limited number of devices are available for temporary loan, with student requests taking priority. You may request a hotspot, a laptop, or both. If the request is approved and a device is available, it will be shipped to you along with the setup instructions below.
Laptop: Chromebook (Asus C403 or equivalent)
- A Chromebook is a minimally-configured laptop that runs the Linux-based Chrome OS operating system.
- In order to run Windows-based software, it must utilize a Windows Virtual Desktop client and access the Virtual Computing Lab/Virtual Desktops.
Hotspot: AT&T and Verizon wireless hotspots
- Hotspots provide wireless internet service for academic or work purposes.
- Users receive unlimited data, but their speed will be throttled after using 25 GB for the remainder of the billing cycle.
- Billing cycles and data throttling reset dates depend on the device provider.
- Submit a request for a device. Be prepared to provide the following information:
- University Computing Account username
- Device(s) requested
- Reason for request and anticipated length of loan
- Shipping address
- Department/School and academic program
- The Office of the Provost will review the request.
- If the request is approved, you will receive a confirmation email with setup instructions and the device(s) will be shipped to you. If the request is declined, you will also be notified via email.
Device Setup Instructions