Antivirus for University-Owned Devices
The steps on this page provide guidance for University-owned devices. For more information about personal devices, answers to frequently asked questions, guidance for IT support staff in departments, and general information about the antivirus transition, please visit our antivirus transition home page.
Steps You Should Take
- If your department has IT support, they will work with you to remove Symantec Endpoint Protection and install Microsoft Defender ATP on your University-owned device. Your IT support staff will let you know if you need to take any specific actions.
- If your department does not have IT support staff—or you are unsure whether you have IT support staff—please contact the 24/7 IT Help Desk. We will help you transition your University-owned device to Microsoft Defender ATP.
- If your department does not have IT support and you have admin rights to your device, you can contact the 24/7 IT Help Desk. Help Desk staff can utilize a remote support tool to remove Symantec Endpoint Protection and install Microsoft Defender ATP on your device.
- For maximum protection on Windows devices, Pitt IT recommends using Microsoft Defender ATP, combined with Malwarebytes’ anti-exploit system to guard against ransomware and zero-day attacks. Malwarebytes is available for Windows at no cost to students, faculty, and staff through Pitt IT’s Software Download Service. Note that a reboot may be required after installation.
Steps the University is Taking
- Pitt IT manages a number of University devices on behalf of departments. Whenever possible, we will automate the removal of Symantec Endpoint Protection and the installation of Microsoft Defender ATP on the devices that we manage.
- Pitt IT will work closely with departments that manage their own devices to provide guidance and transition tools to help those departments uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection and transition their users to Microsoft Defender ATP.
- The Network Operations Center hosts a number of servers in its managed server hosting environment that are running a version of Symantec Endpoint Protection. We will be working closely with departments on a plan to ensure those servers remain protected.
Frequently Asked Questions
Help is Always Available
Please contact the 24/7 IT Help Desk at any time if you have questions or need assistance moving to Microsoft Defender ATP.