Jinx P. Walton
University of Pittsburgh
728 Cathedral of Learning
As Chief Information Officer, Jinx Walton is responsible for the development, implementation, and delivery of technology services that support the academic, business, and research missions of the University of Pittsburgh across its five campuses.
Walton became the Director of Computing Services and Systems Development (CSSD) in October 2000. Since then, she has focused on the strategic implementation of technology to further the goals of the institution and to support the efforts of more than 35,000 students and more than 13,000 faculty and staff. This includes:
- Pitt's secure and reliable network infrastructure
- A state-of-the-art Network Operations Center that maintains 24x7 monitoring for central and departmental servers
- A Data Warehouse that enables University administrators to access a consistent set of key data points for strategic assessment and planning
- Campus-wide wireless service that provides coverage in all of Pitt's classrooms, as well as other common areas
- Software licensing and software packages made available to students, faculty, staff, and departments at little to no cost
- The my.pitt portal used by students, faculty, and staff for single sign-on delivery of a broad range of Web-based University applications and services
Projects developed by Pitt's Computing Services have been recognized with awards from InfoWorld and Computerworld.
In 2007, Jinx Walton received the Pittsburgh CIO of the Year award; in 2010, she was named one of Computerworld's Premier 100 IT leaders. She serves as chair of the Keystone Initiative for Network Based Education and Research (KINBER) and is on the governing body of the Pittsburgh CIO Executive Summit.
- Pittsburgh Business Times: "Pitt CIO tapped to chair KINBER board"
- University Times "Technology Corner": Working to Advance the University's Mission
- Pitt IT in 2013: Building new services on a strong foundation
- 2013 Staff Association Council Technology Fair Keynote Address (Technology Trend: Mobile)
- SAC Assembly Details Job-Supporting Technology
- Pitt Helps Lead Efforts to Connect Rural Pennsylvania to the World
- Computerworld’s Premier 100 IT Leader
- Jinx Walton Has Information Technology on the Move at Pitt