Self-Service Data Analytics Software (Alteryx Designer)
Alteryx Designer provides data scientists and data analysts with a swiss-army knife for data. It has tools for data extraction, transformation, geospatial mapping, and predictive analytics—all in one easy to use package. Alteryx workflows can be used to integrate systems, extract data from third-party APIs, run R and Python scripts, read and write data to campus databases, and prepare large datasets for analytics and data visualization in tools like Tableau.
- Save time and effort by using automated workflows to replace manual data tasks.
- Create predictive, statistical, and spatial analytics for all—code-free for analysts and code-friendly for data scientists.
- Connect to data wherever it lives—in the cloud, data warehouses, Microsoft Excel, social media data, and other platforms.
- Use a friendly drag-and-drop experience to prep, blend, and analyze data.
- Provide scalable customization, scheduling, and publication of analytics.
Alteryx Designer is available for purchase from PantherExpress. It is not available for personal purchase.
|Product||Operating Systems||Home Use Rights||Annual Renewal Date||Available through Software Download Service for Faculty|
|Windows||No||July 1 (dept. must renew)||No|
As an authorized purchaser for PantherExpress for your department or area:
- Go to my.pitt.edu, login using your University Computing Account username and password, then access the PantherExpress task on the right-hand side.
- Search for Alteryx.
- Click Add to Cart.
- Enter each user's information, one user per line in the requested format (last name, first name, University Computing Account username), then click Add to Cart.
- An emailed receipt is sent to the user containing download instructions and the license key to complete the installation process.
A trial copy of Alteryx is available for first time users at alteryx.com/designer-trial/free-trial.
Take a quick video tour to see how Self-Service Data Analytics works.
More Ways to Get the Most from Self-Service Data Analytics:
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Alteryx Designer cost?
Departments can purchase Alteryx Designer licenses for their users from CSSD Software Distribution via PantherExpress. Please see PantherExpress for current pricing. A 14-day trial is also available directly from the vendor (www.alteryx.com/designer-trial/free-trial). Once a license is purchased, a key is provided that activates all Alteryx features. Reinstallation of Alteryx is not required.
Are there hardware requirements to run Alteryx?
Yes, hardware requirements are listed on the Alteryx website (www.alteryx.com/products/alteryx-platform/alteryx-designer).
Can I schedule my Alteryx workflows to run automatically?
Yes. Users with an Alteryx Designer license receive access to publish workflows to the Alteryx server, where they can be run on-demand or scheduled to run at the desired interval.
What data sources can Alteryx connect to? What data sources can it write to?
Alteryx can connect and write to numerous databases - Oracle, SQL Server, Hadoop, ESRI, OleDB, Terradata Bulk and any ODBC connection. Alteryx can also connect and write out to a wide variety of data files, including Microsoft Access and Excel, flat and delimited files, geospatial data files (kml, geo), SAS, SPSS, and JSON.
Does Alteryx work with Tableau?
Alteryx can output data to Tableau extract formats (tde and hyper). Alteryx can publish those files directly to the Tableau server.
If I have an Alteryx license, can I access additional learning resources?
Alteryx license holders are invited to participate in a monthly user group. Group meetings are informal and allow Alteryx users to share tips and tricks, help each other with problem solving, and learn more about best practices. For more information, contact the 24/7 Help Desk at 412-624-HELP (4357).