Fast and Easy Online Shopping for Your Departmental Software
University departments can purchase software through a convenient, easy-to-use online store. The Software Store integrates with PantherExpress, the University’s procurement and payment system. This online store eliminates the need to prepare paper requisitions when purchasing or renewing University site-licensed software for your department.
- Convenient: Purchase software through PantherExpress, the same online system you use for your other University procurement needs.
- Intuitive: Find software quickly through a simple and powerful online search.
- Efficient: Submit your orders electronically, eliminating the need for paper requisitions.
Using the Online Software Store
All departmental software purchases and renewals must be submitted through the Software Store on PantherExpress. Walk-in service at Bellefield Hall is no longer available.
To Order Departmental Software Online:
- Log in to My Pitt.
- Click the PantherExpress Login.
- Click Information Technology Software Store under Internal (University) Suppliers.
- Search for software licenses/media.
- Add products to your cart and proceed to checkout.
- You must be registered to use PantherExpress before you can purchase software for your department. Register to use PantherExpress.
- P-cards cannot be used to purchase or renew software licenses.
- An account with the subcode 6081 must be used for all Software Store purchases. Your order cannot be processed unless this subcode is used.
- Some software licenses are available for digital delivery. Other software licenses require that media (e.g., CDs, DVDs, and USB keys) be purchased separately. Be sure to read the product descriptions to determine whether you need to order media in addition to software licenses.
- Departmental buyers will be contacted three months prior to the expiration of any previously purchased software that requires renewal. They will be provided instructions on how to renew their licenses. Any purchases made during the last three months of a license period will be automatically grandfathered into the next license period.
- At checkout, you can choose to pick up your software order or have it delivered to your office. Software orders can be picked up at the Walk-In Support Desk.
- Software orders that are to be picked up are typically available within two business days. You will be contacted via phone when your order is ready. You can then pick up your order at the Walk-In Support Desk (4000 Fifth Ave).
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ: Software Purchases for Departmental Use
What software titles are available through the Software Store?
The Software Store offers software titles that are available to the University community through site licenses or volume purchase agreements negotiated by Pitt Information Technology. This includes valuable engineering and statistical software, as well as the Microsoft Campus Agreement for Departments. If you are searching for a specific title and do not see it listed in the Software Store, contact the 24/7 IT Help Desk to see if it can be made available.
Why have departmental software purchases moved to PantherExpress?
Integrating departmental software purchases with PantherExpress significantly improves operational efficiency. In addition, it supports the University’s commitment to sustainability by eliminating the need for paper requisitions.
How do I acquire software after I have ordered it?
Some software titles can be delivered digitally and downloaded. The product detail page in the Software Store indicates whether a title is available for digital delivery.
If software cannot be delivered digitally, you can choose to pick it up or have it delivered to your office.
Departmental software orders can be picked up at the Walk-In Support Desk at the University Store on Fifth (view operating hours). Pitt IT will contact you when your order is ready. Orders are typically available for pickup within two business days.
Do I need to use a specific subcode for purchases?
Yes. An account with the subcode 6081 must be used for all Software Store purchases. Your order cannot be processed unless this subcode is used.
Is there a cost for shipping?
Yes. If you choose to have your software order delivered, shipping is charged as a flat $3.00 fee.
Can I purchase software for personal use through the Software Store?
How do I view payment information for orders I have placed through the Software Store?
Payment information for your software orders through the Software Store will appear on your level reports with a PantherExpress PO number.
Can I return software?
Yes. Software may be returned unopened and unused within two weeks of purchase unless otherwise indicated on the receipt.
How do I return software?
Bring the unopened and unused software media and the receipt that accompanied the order to the Walk-In Support Desk. If you are located at a regional campus, contact the Software Distribution Service office to arrange a return at 412-383-7617.
How do I renew software licenses?
You will receive an email outlining the renewal process for the software three months prior to its expiration.
Whom do I contact if I need help or have additional questions?
You can contact the 24/7 IT Help Desk at any time at 412-624-HELP (4357). You can also submit a request online.