Faculty and staff at all campuses are automatically subscribed to Read Green, which enables you to receive many paper-based University mailings electronically via Pitt Email (Outlook). This ensures timely delivery of important information, while helping to conserve paper and other University resources. Short, text-only mailings will be included in the body of the email message. If the paper mailing included graphics or special formatting, a link to a PDF version of the mailing will be included in the email. Faculty and staff who wish to receive paper mailings can opt out of Read Green from their My Pitt (my.pitt.edu) Profile page.
Read Green enables faculty and staff to receive many University paper-based mailings electronically–right to their Pitt Email (Outlook) inbox.
By default, you will receive general University mailings via email.
- Short, text-only mailings will be included in the body of the email message.
- If the paper mailing included graphics or special formatting, you will receive an email with a link to a PDF version of the mailing. The PDF is not sent as an attachment.
How to Manage this Service
- Log in to the Manage My Account service via My Pitt (my.pitt.edu)
- Click Email & Messaging
- Select My Subscriptions from the drop-down list
- Choose your Read Green preference
- Click Update Subscriptions
Benefits of Email Delivery
- Save paper and reduce waste
More than 1,200,000 pieces of printed bulk mail were delivered to Pitt faculty and staff in fiscal year 2009-10. By way of contrast, a total of 674,906 pieces of printed bulk mail and 538,893 Read Green messages were delivered during the 2012-13 fiscal year.
- No email attachments to clutter your inbox
Because you will not receive attachments, you don't have to worry about large files devouring your inbox storage space.
- Read your mail from almost anywhere
You don't need to be on campus to pick up most of your mail. All you need is an internet connection!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does this mean I won't receive any paper-based mail?
No. Not all University mailings can be delivered electronically, so you will still receive some paper mail. University bulk mailings will be delivered to you via email. Interoffice mail will still be delivered on paper, as will mail sent from outside the University that is delivered by the postal service. You may also receive some paper mail if a University unit specifies that its bulk mailing must be delivered via paper.
Are all Read Green messages delivered to all faculty and staff?
No. Not all Read Green messages are delivered to all faculty and staff. The department that sends the message determines who will receive it.
Can I have my mail sent to another email address?
Yes. Your mail will be sent to your official University email address and any other email forwarding addresses that you have set at my.pitt.edu.
- Log in to My Pitt
- Search for Manage My Account and select the matching result
- Click "Start"
- Click Email & Messaging
- Select the Forwarding tab
- Follow the directions for completing your forwarding address
Is this service available to students?
Not at this time. The service may be expanded to include students in the future.
Can I choose to still receive paper mailings?
Yes. If you want to receive paper mailings, you can unsubscribe. Visit your My Pitt Profile, click Read Green, and uncheck the box next to your email address.