Online Survey System (Qualtrics)
The Online Survey System (Qualtrics) allows you to easily create a survey, collect and store data securely, analyze responses, and present results using professional-quality graphs. It is available to Pitt students, faculty, and staff at all campuses, at no cost. The service can be used to support teaching, academic research and institutional business.
Benefits of the Online Survey System
- Use customization to create user-friendly surveys in minutes without prior training
- Embed graphics, video, or audio clips easily
- Personalize email invitations and reminders
- Access a full range of support and training resources through Qualtrics University
Getting Started with the Online Survey System is Easy
- Log in to the My Pitt website.
- Click My Resources and select Qualtrics Survey System.
- Click the Qualtrics login link in the right-hand column.
- If you are a first time user, you will see the following login screen. Choose I don't have a Qualtrics account.
More Ways to Get the Most from the Online Survey System
Using the Online Survey System
Getting additional help and support
Additional help creating your survey and utilizing the many Online Survey System features is available from several sources:
- Web resources are available at Qualtrics Insight Support
- Call 1-800-340-9194 between the hours of 9 a.m.- 8 p.m. EST
- Email support is available at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need assistance logging in or help with your Online Survey System divisions/groups, please contact your divisional administrator or the 24/7 IT Help Desk at 412-624-HELP (4357). You may also submit a request online.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the Online Survey System for personal use?
The Online Survey System is restricted to University-related work and is not for personal use.
Do I need to use University branding on my survey?
Depending on the nature of the survey, a determination is made as to whether it should be branded with the University logo.
Can I map an existing Qualtrics account to my Online Survey System account?
Account mapping to your University account is sometimes possible. It depends on the nature of the Qualtrics account. For more information, contact Qualtrics support using the information in the "Getting additional help and support" section on this page.
Can I collaborate with colleagues to create surveys?
Yes. Qualtrics has a sharing feature for you to give others access to your surveys and data. Use of this feature also allows collaboration with colleagues outside of the University of Pittsburgh that do not have Qualtrics accounts. Please see the Qualtrics Insight Support page for a complete guide to using this feature.
Compliance involving research with human subjects
The University of Pittsburgh Human Research Protection Office (HRPO) requires that, with few exceptions, investigators use the Online Survey System for all new web-based surveys submitted after March 1, 2014. Maintaining the security of research subjects' data is of paramount importance to the HRPO. The Information Security Office for Pitt IT has determined that the Online Survey System meets University Data Security standards. The use of other web-based survey programs may be approved by the HRPO, but only after additional institutional review has been completed.