You are here
Pitt Email on Your Mobile Device
Note: Microsoft Basic authentication was retired on Aug. 1, 2022, and replaced with the more secure Modern authentication, which leverages Pitt Passport and multifactor authentication. Pitt Email will not work on mobile devices that use the legacy ActiveSync protocol.
Option 1 (Recommended): Use the Outlook Mobile App
Pitt IT recommends using Microsoft Outlook as your email app. Outlook integrates seamlessly with Modern authentication and does not rely on ActiveSync.
- Download the Outlook mobile app from the Pitt App Center for your Android or iOS device.
- Set up the Outlook mobile app on your device. View steps for Android or iOS devices.
Option 2: Add Your Pitt Account to Your Current Email App
If you prefer to use a third-party email app rather than using the Outlook mobile app, please complete the following steps.
1. Ensure your email app supports Modern authentication.
Most major third-party email apps support Modern authentication, including the built-in Mail app for iOS 11.3.1 and later and the Gmail app for Android. Learn how to find your iOS version or find your Android version.
2. Add your Pitt Email account to your email app.
These steps are necessary to ensure your email app is using Modern authentication. Expand the menus below to learn how to add your Pitt Email from the Gmail app or the built-in Mail app for iOS.
Gmail: Add Your Pitt Email Account
Add Your Pitt Email Account
- Open the Gmail app.
- Tap the main menu at the top of the screen, then scroll to and tap Settings.
- Tap Add account.
- Tap Exchange and Office 365.
- Enter your full University email address and tap Next. (Note: do not enter any email aliases you may have created.)
- The Pitt Passport screen displays. Log in with your University username and password.
- Complete the login process using multifactor authentication.
- A Microsoft notice displays requesting permission for the app to access your mailbox. Tap Accept.
- The Getting account info ... notice displays. When the "Your account is ready to go" notice displays, tap Done.
iOS Mail App: Add Your Pitt Email Account
Add Your Pitt Email Account
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Mail.
- Tap Accounts.
- Tap Add Account.
- Tap Microsoft Exchange.
- Enter your University Computing account email address. Exchange will autofill the Description field, but you can change it to something more meaningful, like University of Pittsburgh. Tap Next.
- Tap Sign In.
- At the Pitt Passport screen, enter your University username and password, then authenticate using multifactor authentication.
Note: You will need to revisit the device’s Settings to complete the login process.
- A set of mailbox options appears. Use the slider bars on the right-hand side to make any setting changes (for example, sliding the bar left for Notes grays it out so it will not be included as part of your new mailbox), then tap Save.
- Your mail account will be added.
Note: In the past, setting up Pitt Email on an iOS device would sometimes display a message that "Adding an Exchange account will allow the Exchange administrator to remotely manage your device." This message no longer appears, because the Microsoft Active Sync Protocol is no longer used when setting up your Pitt Email. If your device still uses ActiveSync and you see this message, please contact the Technology Help Desk for assistance or use the Outlook mail app as described above.