You can use your University Computing Account to access a wide variety of helpful video resources at linkedinlearning.pitt.edu. Click the links below and log in with your University username and password.
- Videos: Apple iOS> Playlist (LinkedIn Learning videos)
- Videos: Windows Phone> Playlist (LinkedIn Learning videos)
- Videos: Android> Playlist (LinkedIn Learning videos)
- Videos: PowerPoint Essentials> (LinkedIn Learning videos)
Security Guidelines and Tips from App Developers
Accessibility guidelines are available for iOS, Android, and Windows:
- Accessibility Programming Guide for iOS>
- Accessibility Programming Guide for Android>
- Windows Mobile Accessibility Guidelines>
You can leverage the following publicly available data resources for your app:
- Institutional Research Common Data Set>
- University of Pittsburgh Fact Book>
- U.S. Government Open Data Set>
- Allegheny County GIS Data>
- USA Data>
- Western Pennsylvania Regional Data>
- Western Pennsylvania Regional Data Website>
- University of Pittsburgh Center for Social & Urban Research
The following presentations were available at the Pitt Mobile App Challenge kickoff events at the Pittsburgh campus and the regional campuses:
- If you are developing for Windows, you can download Microsoft Visual Studio Professional through the Software Download Service via My Pitt (my.pitt.edu). Just click DreamSpark Downloads.
- If you are developing for iOS, you can download Xcode IDE from Apple.
- If you are developing for Android, you can download the Android SDK.
- MIT App Inventor provides a useful guides for building apps.
- Other app-building resources, such as Xamarin and Phone Gap, are also available.
Know of a useful resource that should be added to this list? Contact the 24/7 Help Desk and tell us about it!
Video Demo Guidelines and Resources (Code-It Only)
If you are submitting a Code-It entry, you’ll need to provide a short video demo of your app (no more than three minutes). Show-It entries do not need to include a video demo. You can use any software you like to record the demo. We recommend you upload the video to YouTube, Office 365 Video, or Box. Once you have uploaded your video, generate a link to view it. Then paste that link into the Pitt Mobile App Challenge submission form so that judges and student voters can view it.
Video Demo Guidelines
The Code-IT video demo should not exceed three minutes. Participants should include the following:
- Begin by stating the name of your submission, the name of your team members, and the challenge you selected.
- Example: “My name is <Name> and this is my teammate <Name>. This is a video demo of <Submission Name> for the 2018 Pitt Mobile App Challenge. <Submission Name> has been entered into the <Challenge Name> challenge.
- Estimated Time: 15 Seconds
- Briefly explain the purpose of the app.
- Example: “This app is called Facebook, and it is a social networking hub for individuals and businesses.”
- Estimated Time: 30 seconds
- Walk the viewer through each step of the primary process of the app. You should demonstrate the basic functionality of each main screen.
- Example: Facebook wall explanation followed by a person making a post and receiving a reply.
- Estimated Time: 1:45
- Close by explaining how this app will help its users achieve the goal it has been designed to perform, and explain why people should vote for your app.
- Estimated Time: 30 Seconds
Tips for Sharing Your Video Demo
Upload to YouTube (Recommended)
Note: you will need an account on YouTube to be able to upload videos.
- Log in to your YouTube account.
- Click the Upload arrow in the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Drag and drop your video to upload it.
- After the upload completes, click the blue Publish button.
- Copy the link that displays under the Share heading.
- Paste the video link into your App Challenge submission page so that others can view your demo.
Upload to Box
- Log in to pitt.box.com.
- Click the Upload button and upload your video.
- Click Share.
- Copy the shared link to your clipboard.
- Below the shared link, changes Access Type from People in this folder to People with the link. Click Close.
- Paste the shared link into your App Challenge submission page so that others can download and view your demo.