You are here
Consulting for Students
Student Technical Consultants are available to provide technical support to students living on campus and off campus.
- All locations can help students, faculty, and staff connect to PittNet Wi-Fi, configure a smartphone or tablet to receive Pitt Email (Outlook), install Microsoft Office, or change passwords.
- Consultants at the University Store on Fifth location and virtual consultations can also help students remove viruses, connect to Pitt Print Stations, and install or repair software.
- During the consultation, Support Desk staff may determine that a scheduled appointment is necessary and can assist the student with scheduling the appointment.
If repairs on a computer require an appointment, a students may “check in” their computer and pick it up once repairs have been completed.
Please review the following guidelines for use of this service.
Technical Consulting Service Guidelines
- Support services include software installation and upgrades, networking assistance, data backup, virus and spyware removal, and general software troubleshooting.
- Hardware repair is not a service that we provide. If the consultants determine during troubleshooting that your problem is hardware-related, they may recommend possible third-party solutions.
- Networking support is available for wireless access to PittNet only. For issues that involve Wi-Fi service in residence halls on the Pittsburgh campus, contact the MyResNet support desk. For problems that involve outside Internet Service Providers (ISP)—such as Comcast, Verizon, or AOL—contact your ISP for assistance.
Before your walk-in consultation or scheduled appointment, you should:
- Review the University's Computing Support Guidelines.
- Back up your data prior to the consultation or appointment.
For a walk-in consultation at the University Store on Fifth or Towers Lobby, please:
- Present your University of Pittsburgh student ID card when you arrive for your appointment.
- Bring your computer and any unique peripherals to the appointment. The consultant area supplies standard PC and Mac monitors, mice, and keyboards for troubleshooting purposes.
- Bring the original software or license verification for any software installation.
During a virtual consultation, please:
- Remain connected to the Zoom breakout room at all times.
- Share your screen with and/or grant the support desk staff remote access to your device in order to perform needed operations.
- Have software licensing information available for software downloads.
Customer Escalation Procedures
The Support Desk is committed to providing you with the best possible service. In the event your questions or problems are still unresolved after consultation, please report your concerns to the 24/7 IT Help Desk at 412-624-HELP (4357).