Pitt IT security professionals help protect the University's computer systems by responding to compromised computers and other security incidents. Pitt IT works with departments to quickly respond to security incidents that compromise a computer or server, or result in the unauthorized disclosure of University Information.
Reporting suspected incidents promptly helps the University perform a quick evaluation of the situation to contain the problem, ensure that other computers have not been affected, and determine if sensitive information may be at risk.
Contact the 24/7 Help Desk at 412-624-HELP (4357) immediately to report:
- Viruses, spyware, or other malicious programs found on your computer.
- Any attempts to break into your computer over the network.
- Any unauthorized disclosure of sensitive information stored on a computer.
Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- What you have observed.
- Whether the situation may involve more than one computer.
- The date and time the incident occurred.
- The name, serial number, and IP network address of the computer (if known).
- The location of the computer.
- Whether or not any potentially sensitive information is stored on the computer
Lost or Stolen Equipment
If your computer is lost or stolen, contact University Police at 412-624-2121 and then contact the 24/7 Help Desk at 412-624-HELP (4357).