You are here
Software: Clear Your Web Browser's Cache
About cache, cookies, and history
Your internet browser's cache stores certain information about the webpages that you browse so that the pages load more quickly on your next visit. You should periodically clear the cache to enable your web browser to function more efficiently.
A cookie is a text string that is created by a web browser and then stored on a computer. These files typically house user-specific information such as usernames or user IDs. Although web browsers will clear cookies periodically, clearing them manually may help to resolve problems with websites or your browser.
A browser's history is a list of the websites that you visit. When you press a browser's Back button, you are moving back one entry in the history list. Again, although browsers may clear the history periodically, clearing the history manually will ensure better privacy.
Follow the steps below to clear your cache, cookies, and history based on your browser type.
- Start your browser.
- Tap Menu, and then tap More.
- Select Settings.
- Under Privacy settings, select Clear cache, Clear history, or Clear all cookie data as appropriate. Then tap OK to accept (or Cancel to cancel) the deletion.
In the browser bar, enter: chrome://settings/clearBrowserData. Select the items you want to clear (e.g., Clear browsing history, Clear download history, Empty the cache, Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data).
From the Obliterate the following items from: drop-down menu, you can choose the period of time for which you want to clear cached information. To clear your entire cache, select the beginning of time.
Click Clear browsing data.
Internet Explorer 11
- Click Tools (the Gear icon), select Safety, then Delete Browsing History...
- Deselect Preserve Favorites website data, and select Temporary Internet files, Cookies, and History.
- Click Delete.
- From the Settings menu, under Clear browsing data click Choose what to clear.
- Select the entries you wish to delete
- Click Clear.
- From the History menu, select Clear Recent History.
Note: If the menu bar is hidden, press Alt to make it visible.
- From the Clear Recent History window, de-select everything under Details except Cache.
- Click Clear Now.
Mobile Safari for iPhone OS (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad)
To clear cache and cookies:
- From the home screen, tap Settings, and then tap Safari.
- At the bottom of Safari's settings screen, tap Clear cookies and data, or Clear Cookies and Clear Cache. Confirm when prompted.
To clear history:
- From the home screen, tap Safari.
- At the bottom of the screen, tap the Bookmarks icon.
- In the lower left, tap Clear.
- Tap Clear History.
- From the Opera menu, select Settings, and then Delete Private Data...
- In the dialog box that opens, select the items you want to clear, and then click Delete.
- From the Safari menu, select Reset Safari...
- From the menu, select the items you want to reset, and then click Reset. As of Safari 5.1, Remove all website data covers both cookies and cache.