Read Your Email With an Email Client (Like Outlook)
You can connect your email client to Pitt Email (Outlook). Email clients are programs that you install on your desktop or laptop computer to access your email and calendar. You can access your Pitt Email (Outlook) with a variety of email clients.
Outlook 2016 for Windows and Mac
- Launch Outlook.
- If you are configuring an account for the first time, you may need to accept the Microsoft Licensing Agreement. Clicking Accept will move you past this box.
- A "Welcome to Outlook" dialog box will appear. Enter your University email address in the Email address box and click Connect.
- If the "Welcome to Outlook" dialog box doesn't appear because the Outlook client is already configured for another email inbox, click the File tab. Then click the Add Account button under Account Information. The welcome dialog box should appear. Enter your email address.
- Enter your University Computing Account password in the Password field that will appear in a "Windows Security" box. Your email address should be above the field. Click OK.
- A box stating that "Account setup is complete" will appear. Click OK.
New to Microsoft Outlook? Try watching the Outlook 2016 Essential Training online course available through LinkedIn Learning.
- Launch Outlook.
- If you are configuring an account for the first time, you will see a configuration wizard. Click Next and skip to step 4. If you already have Outlook configured with another account, click the File drop-down menu and click Add Account.
- Make sure that Yes is selected on the Add an Email account window and click Next.
- Enter your name, University email address, University Computing Account password, and click Next.
- When the configuration is finished, a "Congratulations" message displays. Click Finish.
- You may be prompted to restart Outlook before you can access your mail.
New to Microsoft Outlook? Try watching this online course available through LinkedIn Learning: Outlook 2013 Essential Training.
Outlook 2011 for Mac
- Launch Outlook.
- Click the Outlook drop-down menu and choose Preferences...
- If you are configuring an account for the first time, you will see an Add an Account window. Click the icon next to Exchange Account. If you already have Outlook configured with another account, click the Add an Account button (+) in the bottom left corner of the window and choose Exchange from the menu.
- Enter your University email address in the Email address: text box.
- In the username field, enter email@example.com, where "username" is your University Computing Account username.
- Type your password in the Password: text box.
- Click Add Account.
- If Outlook is able to set up your account, you'll see the account you set up in the left pane of the Accounts dialog box. Close the Accounts dialog box.
New to Microsoft Outlook? Try watching this online course available through LinkedIn Learning: Outlook 2011 for Mac Essential Training.
Apple Mail macOS 10.9 to 10.14
- From the Apple Dock select System Preferences.
- Select Internet Accounts.
Note: In macOS 10.8, Internet Accounts was called Mail, Contacts & Calendars.
- From the list of options, select Microsoft Exchange.
- Enter a name for the account, your University email address, and your University Computing Account password.
- Verify the information and click Continue.
- Click Continue again on the Account Summary window.
- Features such as contacts and calendars can also be used with Exchange. Select the options you want to use with your Exchange server and then click Add Account
- Close the Internet Accounts window. Open Apple Mail from the Apple Dock and you'll see emails begin to populate your inbox.