Pitt VPN (Pulse Secure) (UPMC Workstations): Web Connect
The Pitt VPN (Pulse Secure) service allows users with University of Pittsburgh credentials to access systems on the University network from UPMC workstations. This includes online Web services and databases that are restricted to University users. Pitt VPN encrypts traffic between your computer and the University's network. If you have a University Computing Account username and password, you can connect to the Pitt VPN service using one of two connection methods:
- Web Connect: Web Connect allows users to access online Web resources that are restricted to University affiliates. This includes Web services and databases that are restricted to University users. Note: Web Connect is not needed to access online journals and other content through www.library.pitt.edu or www.hsls.pitt.edu. EZProxy should be used instead.
- Network Connect: Network Connect enables access to systems on the University network. It is used most often to enable remote desktop connections to PCs in University offices although it also supports connections to department file servers, databases, IP-restricted Web services and printers. Network Connect sessions require that the Pulse Secure Client be installed and configured on the host system. Please note that installation of the Pulse Secure Client requires administrative privileges on the workstation. Additional Instructions for configuring the following systems are also available:
These instructions explain how to use the Web Connect.
Note: The following operating system and Web browser combinations have been confirmed as compatible with the Pitt VPN service. If your operating system or Web browser is NOT on the following list, but still works with Pitt VPN, please be advised that it is not guaranteed to be compatible with future service upgrades.
|Windows Vista with SP 1||Internet Explorer 7 - 9, Firefox 24 (or higher) with Oracle JRE 7|
|Windows 7||Internet Explorer 7 - 10, Firefox 24 (or higher) with Oracle JRE 7, Chrome|
|Windows 8||Internet Explorer 10 & 11, Firefox 24 (or higher) with Oracle JRE 7, Chrome|
|Windows 10||Internet Explorer 11|
|Mac OS X (10.7, 10.8 or 10.9)||Safari 5.1 (or higher) and Oracle JRE 6|
Connect to the Pitt VPN (Pulse Secure) Service
To connect to the Pitt VPN Service using Web Connect method, complete the following steps.
1. Open a Web browser to https://sremote.pitt.edu.
Note: If you are using Internet Explorer 10 with Windows 8, you must turn on Compatibility View. To do this, click the Tools menu and select Compatibility View.
2. Enter your University Computing Account username and password.
Note: Your University Computing Account username and password may be different than your UPMC login credentials.
3. Select Web Connect from the Connection Method drop-down menu.
4. Click the Log In button. You will be presented with a Welcome screen.
View Web Resources
When you see the Welcome screen below, you have successfully connected. Click a link on the Welcome screen to connect to the Web pages of the Health Sciences Library System, the University Library System, or My Pitt (my.pitt.edu).
To view the Web site in a new window, click the Launch New Window icon
Disconnect from the Pitt VPN Service
To disconnect, click the Sign Out button on the home screen or close all of the Web browser windows you opened using the Pitt VPN Service. It is also recommended that you exist the Web browser itself.
Note: You may use the Pitt VPN Access Service for a maximum of four hours at a time. After four hours you will be automatically disconnected from the service. You will also be automatically disconnected from the Pitt VPN Service if your session is idle for thirty minutes.