Off-Campus Consultants (OSCAR)
If you live off campus, Student Consultants (OSCAR Consultants) are available to provide technical support. OSCAR Consultants are students at the University of Pittsburgh who can help with campus network connections, virus and spyware removal, software installation, data backups, and much more.
To schedule an appointment with an OSCAR consultant, call the Technology Help Desk at 412-624-HELP . OSCAR (Off-campus Student Computer Assistance and Resources) is located in B42 Alumni Hall (in the basement, through the computing lab).
If you are interested in becoming an OSCAR Consultant, you can apply for online. Positions are also available for Campus Computing Lab Consultants, ResCons, and Clerical Assistant/Administrative Support.
Please review the following guidelines for use of this service.
OSCAR Service Guidelines
- Service is provided by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, contact the Technology Help Desk at 412-624-HELP .
- OSCAR services include software installation and upgrades, networking assistance, data backup and recovery, virus and spyware removal, and general software troubleshooting.
- Hardware repair services are not provided. If OSCAR consultants determine during troubleshooting that your problem is hardware-related, they may recommend possible third-party solutions.
- Networking support is provided for wireless access to PittNet only. Assistance is not provided for problems that involve outside Internet Service Providers (ISP), such as Comcast, Verizon, or AOL. Contact your ISP for assistance with problems involving these services.
- Students who live in the residence halls are not eligible to use OSCAR. Resident students should contact the Technology Help Desk at 412-624-HELP  to use the Residential Consulting program (ResNet).
- OSCAR does not provide support to faculty and staff. Faculty and staff with computing questions should contact the Technology Help Desk at 412-624-HELP  for assistance.
Before an OSCAR appointment, you should:
- Review the University's Personal Computing Support Guidelines.
- Back up your computer prior to your appointment.
When you go to your OSCAR appointment, you should:
- Present your University of Pittsburgh student ID card when you arrive for your appointment.
- Bring your computer and any unique peripherals to the appointment. The OSCAR office supplies standard PC and Mac monitors, mice, and keyboards for troubleshooting purposes.
- Bring the original software or license verification for any software being installed.
- Remain in OSCAR at all times while the consultant is working on your computer.
- Understand that all appointments are two hours maximum in length. If more time is required to troubleshoot a problem, you will be contacted to schedule a follow-up appointment.
Customer Escalation Procedures
OSCAR service is committed to providing you with the best possible service. In the event your questions or problems are still unresolved after consultation, please report your situation to the Technology Help Desk at 412-624-HELP .