My Pitt Video: Advanced Editing
Log in and click the Edit icon.
How to navigate/seek in the recording
1. Clicking anywhere in the timeline will navigate or "seek" the video to that point
2. Clicking on any of the events will "seek" the video to the point where that event starts
How to insert a new thumbnail
Note: Thumbnails can only be inserted into screen capture and secondary video streams
1. Click Add a new event.
2. Click where you want the thumbnail to be inserted.
3. Type in the new caption name, enter any searchable metadata and click OK (the thumbnail image will be created after the session re-processes).
How to edit a thumbnail/event
1. Hover the mouse over the thumbnail you that wish to modify and click "Click to edit".
2. You can modify the caption, change searchable metadata, delete the entire event and change the time that the event is shown in the recording
Additional information about thumbnail generation
1. For slides (PowerPoint or Keynote): They are generated every time a slide advances
2. For secondary video (screen capture, secondary camera): They are automatically generated every three minutes. You can add in events to supplement the three minute gap in secondary video.
How to modify the start time of a stream
1. Click the Streams tab
2. Click Edit on the stream you wish to modify
3. Change the start time as desired and click OK
Creating versions in the My Pitt Video (Panopto) editor
The Save As feature lets you present the same session with different edits that can be distributed to viewers.
For example, if you had a seminar that was split into two halves (for instance, part 1 and part 2) you can use this feature to create a link with only the first part, and a separate link (version) to the second part.
These will appear as individual links in the My Pitt Video (Panopto) web user interface.
Note: To use this feature, you must create a new version first, then edit and save that version.
Click Save As in the editor.
Enter a name for the new version of your session and click OK.
The session will automatically change to the new version. In this case, it is the one entitled New Version.
Any changes that are made will be saved to the new version rather than the default version.
Insert / Edit Captions
You can manually type in a caption stream for your recordings directly from the editor. To do this, click on the Captions tab, start typing in the text box, and press Enter when you want to add your captions. After saving and committing the captions, they will now be visible in the Captions tab in the viewer.
Note: this technique can also be used to edit captions from a third party vendor.
1. Stop button: clicking the stop button returns the video back to 00:00.
2. Preview Edits: if checked, only the segments of video that are being kept will play.
3. +/- Controls: these allow you to zoom in/out of the recording.
4. Revert: clicking revert will undo all editing that has been done.