Installing Office 365 ProPlus
The University's Office 365 licensing agreement with Microsoft also includes installation privileges for Office 2016, the suite of desktop/laptop PC productivity applications that include Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint. Microsoft markets this access commercially as "Office 365 ProPlus".
Students and teaching faculty can download and install Office 2016 free of charge. Non-teaching faculty and staff can download and install these titles as well, but they need to be part of a department that has purchased the Microsoft Campus Agreement.
The University's licensing agreement allows individual users to install Office 2016 on up to five different devices.
Download and Installation
- In order to install Office 2016 titles, you need to be logged into the University's Office 365 environment. This can be done easily by opening a web browser and navigating to Portal.office.com.
- This link will direct you to the Office 365 login page. If you have previously logged into Office 365 or My Pitt Email from your browser, the Office 365 login page will present a blue login tile displaying your email address. Click on this tile to move to the Pitt Passport login page.
If the blue tile with your email address is not displayed, enter your email address in the top box under "Sign in with your organizational account." You may need to select the "work account" login option if you are presented with a choice between a work account or a Microsoft account login. You will not need to enter a password. The page should navigate away once you tab into or click into the password field.
- The Office 365 site will recognize your Pitt email address and will redirect you to the Pitt Passport login page. Enter your University Computing Account username (or your Pitt email address) and password and click Submit.
- If your credentials are accepted, you will be directed to the default Office 365 home page. Click on the Install Office 2016 tile in the upper right corner to launch your installation.
- The Office 2016 installation will launch with a "Just a few more steps" dialog box." Follow the prompts to complete your Office 2016 installation.
Managing your Office 365/Office 2016 Installations
If you ever wish to find out how many installations of Office 365 or Office 2016 that you still have remaining, navigate to the default Office 365 page and click on the Other installs link that is directly underneath the Install Office 2016 tile. This will bring you to the Office 365 "Software" page. Look for and select the My account > Install status link that is under "Manage installs." This will direct you to the Office 365 "My account" page with your Office 365/Office 2016 installations listed. You can use this page to deactivate an installation if you are at your limit and need to install Office 365 or Office 2016 on a new device.
Please note that all installations listed on this page will be deactivated if you should ever lose your University affiliation. For information on acquiring a perpetual Office 2016 license, consult the Office 365 ProPlus and Office 2016 web page.
Mobile Microsoft Office Apps
An additional benefit of exploring the Office 365 environment is quick access to a variety of mobile apps that you can install on your tablet or smartphone. These are mobile versions of popular Microsoft Office applications such as Word, PowerPoint, or Excel. Look under "Other installs" or "Get Office apps" when you are logged into Office 365. The license that enables students, faculty and staff access to Office 365 also covers the full licensing of these mobile apps. The installers for these apps are also available on other online app stores including the Pitt App Store.
The Microsoft Office mobile apps will install without a license code but will operate in a reduced capacity (only being able to open, but not save files). However, registering apps with your University username and password opens up locked features of the apps such as saving and creating new documents. These mobile apps are available through the University’s Office 365 license. Students and faculty can download and use the mobile apps at no charge. Staff and non-teaching faculty need to be part of a department that has purchased the Microsoft Campus Agreement.