Email: Read My Pitt Email on your phone or tablet
You can set up your smartphone or tablet to access your My Pitt Email. We recommend you connect your mobile device using ActiveSync. ActiveSync is the most commonly used connection method and allows you to access your email, calendar, and contacts.
iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
- Tap the Settings icon on the home screen.
- Tap Mail on the Settings list.
- Tap Accounts, then Add Account
- Tap the Exchange icon.
- Enter your University email address (email@example.com) and password, then tap Next.
Note: If you are prompted for the Server name, enter outlook.office365.com.
- Choose which types of data to synchronize between your account and your device (for example, Mail, Contacts, and Calendar).
- Tap Save.
- From the Applications menu, select Email. This application may be named Mail on some versions of Android.
- Type your full email address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org) and your University Computing Account password. Tap Next.
- Select Exchange Account. This option may be named Exchange ActiveSync on some versions of Android.
- Enter the following account information and select Next:
- Type your full email address in the Domain\Username box (for example, email@example.com). If Domain and Username are separate text boxes in your version of Android, leave the Domain box empty and type your full email address in the Username box (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Enter your University Computing Account password.
- As soon as your phone verifies the server settings, the Account Options screen displays. The options available depend on the version of Android on your device. Decide what to synchronize, how frequently to check your email, and other options.
- Select Next and type a name for the account.
- Select Done.
For versions of Android that select Gmail as the default email service, take the following steps:
- From the Applications menu, select Gmail.
- Expand the sidebar by tapping the menu button next to ‘Primary’ in the upper right-hand side of the app.
- Select Settings, then Add Account.
- Select Exchange, then OK.
- Type your full email address (for example,
email@example.com), tap Next, and type your University Computing Account password. Tap Next.
- The Incoming server settings will be displayed. For username, make sure your University Computing Account username is listed. For server make sure exchange.pitt.edu is listed. Tap Next.
- A security prompt will appear. Tap Okay.
- As soon as your phone verifies the server settings, the Account Options screen displays. The options available depend on the Android version of your device. Decide what to synchronize, how frequently to check your email, and other options. Tap Next.
Note: In some Android versions, you may see a prompt you would like to Activate Device Administrator. Select Activate or Cancel.
- Type a name for your account. Tap Next.
If you are unable to connect using the steps above, please try the following additional settings:
- Enter the server path as outlook.office365.com
- Enter your full email address in username field (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Select the SSL authentication box.
- Leave the domain field empty.
- On Start, swipe left to the App list, select Settings, and then select email + accounts.
- Select add an account > Exchange.
- Enter your University email address (for example, email@example.com) and University Computing Account password, and then select Sign in.
Nokia (Symbian OS)
- On the Applications menu, select Applications > Mail.
- Select Create a new mailbox to start the setup wizard.
- Accept the Nokia terms of service and select Start.
- Select Mail for Exchange from the list of available account types. Enter your University Computing Account username (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org) and password. In the Domain field, enter univ.pitt.edu.
- Select Next.
- Select OK when Mail for Exchange informs you that it isn't recommended to use multiple methods to synchronize your contacts with your phone.
- Choose whether you want to synchronize your Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks and select Next.
Connect a Mobile Device Using IMAP
Some smartphones do not support ActiveSync. If your phone or mobile device does not support ActiveSync, you can still connect it to Enterprise Exchange email using the IMAP protocol. Your mobile device may not require you to enter all of the information listed below.
- Server type: IMAP
- Account Name/Description: My Pitt Email
- Name/Display Name: Your first and last name
- Domain: univ.pitt.edu
- Outlook Web Access (OWA): If prompted, select this option.
- Mail Server Name: outlook.office365.com
Note: If prompted, enter this for both the Incoming and Outgoing Server Names.
- Email Address: Your University email address (email@example.com)
- Username: Your University Computing Account username.
- Password: Your University Computing Account password.
- Incoming Mail (IMAP) Connection: Use port 993 with SSL encryption.
- Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Connection: Use port 587 with TLS encryption.
- Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) Authentication: Select "require SMTP authentication".